Departmental Grant Program - 2010
PLEASE NOTE, THIS PROGRAM IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR NEW SUBMISSIONS
What is the ADVANCE Departmental Grant Program?
The ADVANCE Departmental Grant program is intended to promote and provide financial support for faculty programs and initiatives in the departments that address issues central to the goals of ADVANCE. These projects should ultimately lead to a more supportive, more equitable departmental climate.
Proposals should be no longer than two pages in length and will be reviewed by members of the ADVANCE Leadership Committee.
**CLICK HERE TO SEE AWARDED PROPOSALS**
Funding Amount and Administration
A total of $30,000 per year will be allocated to this mini-grant program. Grant awards will typically range from $500 - $5000 in amount. Grant money can be spent on purchasing materials and supplies, costs in support of the project, wages of individuals who assist in projects, and/or travel costs.
These funds must be spent within one year of receipt. At the end of one year, all award recipients must submit a two-page summary of the project with successes/challenges, which will be shared on the ADVANCE website. Additionally, if significant results emerge, recipients may be asked to share their findings internally with the Rice ADVANCE community through a colloquium or poster series.
Who is eligible to apply?
Department chairs and/or faculty in all departments at Rice University are eligible to apply. Proposals may be submitted by an individual department or by a pair or group of departments. Each submitted proposal should be supported by the department chair. An email to Jan Rinehart (email@example.com) from the chair is sufficient to demonstrate support of the proposal. If there are multiple proposals from a single department, we request the department chair prioritize them.
Proposals will be evaluated by a committee according to the following criteria:
(1) The significance, merit, and feasibility of the project/idea, and the degree to which it will address issues relevant to the ADVANCE initiative and also help assess the impact of the ADVANCE grant.
(2) The qualifications and commitment of the department chair to conduct the project.
(3) The likelihood that the project will ultimately result in a positive climate change.
How to Apply:
Applicants should send an electronic copy of the proposal to Jan Rinehart (firstname.lastname@example.org) and a paper copy to the ADVANCE office, MS 105. Proposals are due by September 30th for the academic year 2010-2011.
Proposals must include:
(1) A project description of no more than two double-spaced pages that indicate the nature of the project or idea. This description should indicate how the project addresses the goals of the ADVANCE grant and how the project will be evaluated.
(2) A budget.
(3) The intended timeframe of the project.
(4) Email from department chair stating their support of the proposal.
Upon final recommendations by the Leadership Committee, each applicant will be informed whether a grant will be forthcoming and the amount of the award. Review and notification will be by October 15th.
Questions: Contact Jan Rinehart (email@example.com) or 3345.